10 Of My Ultimate Favourite Films

2.21.2018


Today's post has been a longggg time coming but it's finally here, woooo! Now, don't be fooled by the photo because those aren't actually my favourite films, you'll just have to keep reading to see what they are. But if you're anything like me then you're always looking for a new film to watch and I just so happen to be a huge film lover. I get so engrossed in films and I'm one of those who is always rambling on about the editing, cinematography and soundtracks. I appreciate everything from the way it's filmed to the scripts and of course the acting. And despite this post being harder to write than I anticipated, I do have my top 10 ultimate favourite films for you guys today. So, grab yo self a cuppa because this will be a long'un! Note: They're not in order, that would have been way too difficult!



Girl, Interrupted (1999)

One of my best friends introduced me to this film a few years ago now and I instantly knew I'd love it because we have such similar tastes when it comes to films. Starring Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie and Directed by James Mangold, the film is based on the true story of Susanna Kaysen who is a young woman who finds herself in a women's mental institution set in the late 1960's. I was fascinated by this film from the moment it started. It just has this "vibe" about it that I love. It's definitely difficult to watch at times so I'd recommend researching more on the trigger warnings before watching but it gives you a little insight on what it was like back in the 60's and how mental health was viewed by those who have perhaps never experienced it. I completely and utterly adore the soundtrack in this film and generally it's one of the most under appreciated films ever made.

The Intern (2015)

I only watched this film for the first time last year and it really pulled on my heartstrings. It's not a romance but I found it so unbelievably moving and it's inevitable that I'm going to love anything that Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro are in. This film is about a hugely successful business woman who owns an online fashion website. The company hire senior interns and due to hating the boredom that comes along with retirement, 70 year old widower Ben decides he's got nothing to lose and goes for the job. I think the reason why I love this film so much is because it truly highlights the differences between our generation and the one before us. Anne and Robert's characters form such a beautiful yet completely unexpected friendship and that's what I find so heartwarming about it. It's such a cosy, funny and feel good kinda film that everyone has just got to watch at some point. 

The Sound of Music (1965) 

I'm convinced that I've been watching this film since I started walking and talking. This one never gets old and it's one that my whole family enjoy watching together. There is something just so comforting and familiar about this film and even growing up I found myself in awe of the soundtrack, costumes and characters. Despite the fact that I probably didn't fully understand the whole plot growing up, I've always felt so sentimental about this film and even at the age of 18 I'll often find myself singing along to the well known and loved songs that bring back so many memories for me. 

Hidden Figures (2016) 

I felt every single emotion under the sun during the time that I watched this film. The story is about a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a crucial role in NASA during the early years of the U.S Space Program. They serve as the brains behind one of the greatest and significant operations in history - the launch of the astronaut John Glenn. It's set in the 60's and is full of kick ass moments which at the time that it was set were simply extraordinary. I felt as though I learned so so so much and I felt so happy that the females behind the success of something so significant were getting the chance to tell the story from their perspective as opposed to through the eyes of the men. It's such an eye opening film and these extraordinary women made their mark in history. I just think we can all be inspired by this film. I have so much love. 

The Theory of Everything (2014) 

This film is one of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. I found endless inspiration in this film and I felt as though I learned so, so much. The Theory of Everything starts in the 1960's and follows the story of the brilliant genius that is Stephen Hawking who is played by the utterly talented and charming Eddie Redmayne. The film captures Steven discovering that he has a motor neuron disease at the age of 21 and from then he begins an ambitious study of time, of which he himself has very little left according to his doctor. Stephen is one of the most celebrated physicists of our time and it's one of those films that truly will have you smiling and crying from start to end. 

La La Land (2017)

It doesn't matter what kind of mood I'm in, the second I hear a song from the soundtrack I instantly feel so much better. I utterly adore this film like most people and I definitely wasn't put off by the ending, in fact, it's one of the reasons why I love it so much. Films that can pull off an unpredictable ending that actually make sense are always a winner in my eyes (hence why I'm not the biggest fan of the typical romance films). I found myself identifying with Mia from the very beginning and I think that's why her character is so likable throughout the film. The cinematography is an absolute dream and the soundtrack is, well, absolutely perfect. My top favourites have got to be someone in the crowd, audition (the fools who dream) and city of stars but it's a close call that's for sure. I'll admit when I first saw the trailer for this one I was so hesitant about whether I'd like it but I was completely blown away and I've already lost count over how many times I've seen it. 

Eddie The Eagle (2016)

I didn't really know anything about this film only that my Grandad had nobody to go and see it with him at the time it came out so I decided to go with him. I mean, how bad could this film be? Well, well, well. The emotions in this film hit me like a tonne of bricks, my goodness. Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman are phenomenal actors and their chemistry was faultless. This film tells the roller coaster story of Eddie Edwards, a British skier who competed in the Winter Olympics and truthfully I didn't know much about him before seeing this but I was just blown away by his determination and inability to give up his dream. It's a truly moving film and I've discovered that I simply can't watch this film without crying my eyes out. The cinematography and soundtrack is stunning and I absolutely adore the 80's vibe and how realistic it is. Definitely one of the most under appreciated films out there.

The Greatest Showman (2017)

After seeing this film three times in the cinema since it came out just two months ago, how could it not make my top ten list. I'm just mesmerized by everything that this film offers. It stars Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and Zendaya to name just a few of the phenomenal actors and it's inspired by the wonderful imagination of P.T Barnum. It's an original musical which celebrates the birth of show business and presenting everyone as equals despite differences that society have deemed as inappropriate. It truly is a celebration of humanity and the message behind the film is something which I strongly love and admire. The soundtrack is exceptional, wow. It really is a work of art and it's rare that I discover a soundtrack where I genuinely love every single song. 

Harry Potter (2001-2011)

I'm constantly changing my mind about which film out of the series is my favourite and so it's only fair to include the film series as a whole, I hope that's not me cheating my way out of it too much. There isn't much to say here because the majority of people have watched and fallen in love with Harry Potter just like I did when I was much younger. I read the books and it was always inevitable that the films would never be as good, but having said that, the Harry Potter films are a work of art. I always feel beyond overwhelmed watching the films. The sense of nostalgia is something I find so much joy and comfort in and I'll never tire of talking about the endless reasons why I'll forever be grateful that they exist. 

The Imitation Game (2011)

Now this one is my ultimate favourite film of all time and has been ever since it was released which will come as absolutely no surprise to those of you who know me or follow my social media. I saw this film in the cinema when it came out in 2014 and instantly fell in love with it. In fact, I can remember getting goosebumps when I saw the trailer and I just knew that this film was going to be something very special. Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightly, Matthew Goode, Allen Leech, Mark Strong, Charles Dance, Alex Lawther. I mean, the cast says it all. I adore each of the actors so much individually that when I saw that they were all going to be in this film I just knew that I had to see it. The plot focuses on the true story of the legendary crypt analyst Alan Turing and the British intelligence agency on their journey to breaking Enigma in Bletchly Park during the second world war. I have watched this film endless times and there hasn't been a single time where I haven't cried or experienced goosebumps and I'm shocked at how little I knew about this story until I saw the film. The acting, script, cinematography, editing and soundtrack cannot be praised enough. I am utterly and completely in love with everything about this film and I can't see a day where it won't be my favourite film of all time. 

And breatheeee. There we have it. My ultimate top ten favourite films of all time. You can probably see that I'm a sucker for films based on true stories. How could you not be though?? They make me cry uncontrollably every single time! The bottom half of the list definitely varies depending on what kinda mood I'm in but nothing has seemed to budge The Imitation Game from my top spot as of yet. 

Anyway, I'll love you and leave you. Remember to keep your eyes peeled for a new post coming soon where I'll be talking about the importance of self care.

Lots of Love,
Meg X

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Raindrops On Roses. Design by FCD.