Summertime Boredom? Sorted!

7.04.2017

NOTE: This blog post does NOT contain any spoilers! 

As some of you may already know, I absolutely love TV Shows. I have always been completely fascinated by the way TV Shows (and films) are made. I love coming up with theories and I'm always pleased by eye catching cinematography, acting, editing, camera work and of course the soundtracks. Oh, yes. It's actually quite sad how much attention I pay to the soundtracks. Anyway, I'm always looking for new TV Shows to watch but I am always guilty of re watching old favourites. I thought that since the summer holidays have officially started, now would be the perfect time to recommend my top 5 TV Shows in case you're hiding away from the sunny weather we have unexpectedly been having in the UK and you're in the mood to binge watch a new series! Of course, you may have already seen one of these, or perhaps you've seen them all, but hopefully there is something for everyone. 


NOTE: These aren't my Top 5 favourite TV Shows (I don't even know what my top 5 favourite shows are) but I just thought they are the kind of shows that are great to binge watch if you're bored this summer! If you want more recommendations then feel free to send me a DM on Twitter (astudyintennant)! Likewise, if you've got some recommendations for me then I'd love to hear them! 

So, in no particular order, here we go!  

1. Broadchurch (3 series, 8 episodes in each)



I've just realised how long this blog post may get and for that I apologise. Writing about some of my favourite TV Shows was a very dangerous idea but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible - firstly because I want to avoid spoilers and secondly because I'll end up boring you to death! Anyway, I started watching Broadchurch when it first aired on ITV back in 2013. Broadchurch is a small, seemingly calm seaside town that is shaken when the body of an eleven year old boy is found on the beach. It soon becomes a town wrapped in secrets and as the mystery slowly unravels, the town's residents are all made to look extremely guilty. The detectives on the case are DI Alec Hardy (David Tennant) and DS Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman) and I love both of these characters SO much (I'm trying to hard to stop myself from writing all about them otherwise this post will be SO long!) In my opinion, it is the BEST 'who done it' murder mystery I've seen. You'll end up getting attached to nearly all of the characters which is dangerous because ANYONE could have done it. Series 2 follows on from series 1 which is brilliant because it's familiar enough to draw you back in but equally different enough as there is a new mystery (or rather an old mystery that is yet to be solved). Furthermore, series 3 is different again but it still has characters from the original series which allows the audience to see the impact that the death from series 1 had on the characters and community. I really struggle to choose which of the three series is my favourite because they were all outstanding. The acting in it from everyone is absolutely phenomenal as each performance is so captivating. I can't emphasise enough just how incredible the writing is. There are so many emotions and the stories in each series are done so respectfully and sensitively. Also, the cinematography in Broadchurch is flawless. Oh my goodness. It's set in West Bay, Dorset, and it's the most gorgeous little place so the scenery truly is stunning. I can't recommend this show highly enough. It's an incredibly gripping murder mystery that will really play with your emotions. It's heartbreaking but overwhelmingly beautiful and you'll only be sorry you didn't watch it sooner. 

2. Orphan Black (5 seasons, 10 episodes in each) 



Just a quick note, season 5 is currently still airing but it has been confirmed that it is the last series).

I have no idea where to even begin with Orphan Black. Those who are already watching it must feel my pain because I don't know how to explain it without giving something away or making it too complicated. Please don't be thrown off by the word complicated because it really is one of the BEST shows I have ever seen. Ever. To try and put it simply, Orphan Black starts with the character Sarah (played by the wonderfully talented Tatiana Maslany) who is an outsider and orphan. However, her life drastically changes when she witnesses the suicide of a woman who is identical to her. After stealing the identity of the unknown woman, Sarah discovers that they are clones. She is quickly caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers about who she really is and how many other clones there are. I was hooked to this show from around 3 minutes into it. It is mind blowing and you can always expect the unexpected. One of the main reasons why I adore Orphan Black is because it is a completely female driven show. Women are at the very heart of this show and I think that is SO important. It's unbelievably empowering and demonstrates that women can do anything. It gets better though as the main relationship on the show is between two girls which is INCREDIBLE. It is so rare, even today, to find that the main ship on a TV Show is actually a same sex couple. The plot can get a little confusing but I promise that it is worth a watch. The writing is brilliant, the cast are phenomenal and you'll be on the edge of your seat until the very end. Each of the clones are SO different and unique which I love and it's only expected that you'll quickly become attached to the characters. I've been watching this show for around 3 years and I am still in disbelief that each of the clones are played by one actor! I can't understand how it's possible to hate one clone but completely love another?! It just goes to show how incredible Tatiana is. Personally, my favourite seasons are 1, 4 and 5 but they're all outstanding and once again the cinematography is BEAUTIFUL. It is a science fiction thriller so this one won't be for everyone but trust me when I say it is a work of art. 

3. Big Little Lies (One season, 7 episodes) 


Big Little Lies is a murder mystery with a twist. I've never come across a show like this before but it's uniqueness makes it completely gripping and I promise you won't move until you've finished it. The main plot is that someone has been killed but as the audience we don't know who has been killed and who has killed them. You could say it sounds a bit like Cluedo. Each episode shows the events that took place building up to the murder and with each episode, you find out more about each of the characters and naturally you create so many theories as to who it was and of course who was killed. It stars Reese Witherspoon (Madeline), Nichole Kidman (Celeste) and Shailene Woodley (Jane) who are the three main characters in this story. Madeline and Celeste are best friends and quickly become friends with Jane who has recently moved to the area after fleeting a murky past. It's a clever show because you deliberately get attached to characters despite knowing that one of them has been killed. The soundtrack is stunning and being set in California, naturally the scenery is gorgeous. It's full of secrets and the plot twists at the end will leave you completely speechless. This show is actually based on a book (which I'm about to start this summer!) and was recommended to me by a wonderful friend and I'm so glad she told me about it because I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed watching this. It definitely had to make it to my top 5 shows to watch this summer! 

4. The Crown (One series, 10 episodes) 


I will hold my hands up and admit that one of my biggest guilty pleasures is watching period dramas and this was no exception. I immediately love TV Shows and Films that allow me to learn something new about British History. Of course, they aren't the most realistic things to watch, especially since the majority of plots are exaggerated for dramatisation purposes. Having said that, I found myself being fascinated by this wonderful series. Being only 18, I missed the early life and coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and so to me I found it so interesting to get a feel of the timeline of events that the Royal Family endured when my grandparents were growing up. Both Claire Foy (Queen Elizabeth II) and Matt Smith (Prince Phillip) were wonderful. I can't imagine how challenging it must have been to take on those roles but as expected they were phenomenal and their chemistry together on screen was exceptional. The Crown focuses on Queen Elizabeth II as a 25 year old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world's most famous monarchy while forging a relationship with legendary Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill. I took my time with this series and finished it within a couple of weeks. If you're looking for cliffhangers then this definitely isn't the show for you. Having said that, it is the perfect show to watch with a cup of tea when you've got an hour to spare in the afternoon. I highly recommend this show and it's perfect to watch with the rest of the family. Plus, the British accents are heaven.


5. Grace and Frankie (3 seasons, 13 episodes in each)



I thought it would be a great way to end this rather long blog post with this wonderful TV Show. Grace and Frankie is PERFECT to watch during the summer as it is set in sunny California right on a beach. It's one of those shows that I could watch again and again because it's so chilled and always puts me in such a good mood afterwards. The episodes are only half an hour long so you'll get through them so quickly! The show is about (as it says in the title) Grace, played by Jane Fonda, and Frankie, played by Lily Tomlin, who have been rivals for as long as they can remember. Their one-upmanship comes crashing to a halt, however, when they learn that their husbands have fallen in love with each other and want to get married. As everything around the ladies is coming apart, the only thing they can really rely on is each other. They soon form a brilliant friendship and you can't help but laugh when you watch them on screen together. Despite this show making you laugh out loud, it's also so emotional in parts. The importance of friendship is highlighted throughout this show which is one of the many reasons why I love it so much. The writing is genius and you'll quickly become attached to the characters so don't say I didn't warn you. This show is everything you'd want on the days when you don't know what to do with your time. It will put the biggest smile on your face and you'll finish it before you blink so savour it and take your time! 

I'm going to leave you with those shows for now because this post is long enough as it is! Like I said earlier, I hope there is something here for everyone and if you've got some recommendations of your own then please don't hesitate to let me know! I've currently got a list on my phone of things to watch so I'll make sure to add them! 

I hope you're having a lovely summer and I'll be back before you know it with another post (I've got loads planned for the next few weeks so hopefully I'll be more consistent with uploading for the second half of the year!)

Lots of love,
Meg X


1 comment

  1. Ah yes, I'm in love with British accents just in general but their accents in The Crown are so nice and posh! I really loved watching that show and I'm so ready for season two :)

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Raindrops On Roses. Design by FCD.