Getting my Tattoos

7.14.2017


On March 23rd earlier this year, I got not only my first but my second tattoo! I still (nearly 4 months later) can't believe that I actually went through with them because I am the most indecisive person in the world! Growing up, I never thought about getting a tattoo. I'd always loved them from afar but I didn't think I'd be the kind of person who'd suit one I guess??? A couple of my friends wanted them and so we'd often talk about different tattoos that we liked but it was only when I was 16 that I considered getting one. 

In my spare time, I'd look at designs and I found it super easy to narrow down particular themes that I wanted. I adore travelling more than anything and I was always very confident that if I got a tattoo that it would be travelling related. No matter how many different designs I researched, this one particular design kept cropping up and I fell so in love with it. I told myself that if I was still as in love with it by the time I turned 18 then that would be the one I'd get. Anyway, my 18th birthday came and I can remember really wanting to get my first tattoo. My younger self was probably screaming 'wait until you're a bit older etc' but I knew in my heart that this was the one (sounds like I'd found my perfect wedding dress, yikes!). Deciding where on my body to get the tattoo took no time at all because ever since deciding on the design, I'd imagined it on my right ankle and I thought that would be the perfect place because I could show it off but equally cover it up if need be. Now, I'm quite a spontaneous person which can be quite dangerous because a few days before I went to book the tattoo, I'd fallen in love with another one. This one was much smaller but very simple and cute and I could picture myself getting it on my left wrist. I thought about it (a lot) and decided to book them both to get done on the same day. I knew I could always cancel if I started having doubts but as the day approached, it only made me more excited to get them both done!

The day came and the nerves were definitely starting to kick in now. I hadn't thought much about how painful it was going to be. All I kept telling myself was that it was going to be worth it. I arrived for my appointment and the tattoo artist was SO LOVELY which is super important because you're trusting this person to give you a tattoo that you'll have for the rest of your life. But he was so chatty which took my mind off it. He wanted to do the bigger one on my ankle first which I thought was a good idea because I knew that would hurt the most. He then did the template just so I could check in the mirror if it was in the right place etc and as soon as I saw it, I knew I'd made the right decision. I lay down on this bed and tried so hard to keep still. I've got a habit of flinching when I'm meant to keep still and the whole time I was there I was so nervous that I was going to accidentally kick him in the face and the tattoo would go completely wrong! Luckily, I only flinched once so it was all good. I won't lie and say it wasn't painful because it was but it's such a weird sensation. It's like having lots of painful bee stings only much weirder because I could feel the needle the whole time but it didn't freak me out?? That was such a bad description but you do get used to it and if you have a fear of needles but really want a tattoo, don't let that stop you! The tattoo artists, I mean it depends where you go, but they are so lovely and will help take your mind off the whole thing. It'll be over before you know it and plus just don't look at the tattoo being done and close your eyes. I watched the whole thing being done (when I wasn't trying to keep extra still) and I loved it but not everyone will want to do that. The only bit that was almost too painful to bare was when the tattoo artist was just above my ankle bone. Oh my god, that was agony and my eyes started to water so much but I just asked him to keep going to get it over with! It took around 30 minutes to do the one on my ankle and I'm so happy with it! I got to look in the mirror before he started on the tattoo on my wrist and I knew I'd made the right decision. I loved it SO MUCH and if it's possible, I love it even more now! The one on my wrist one only took around 10 minutes but I'm so glad I decided to get them done at the same time! I've definitely destroyed any fear I had of getting a tattoo and I'd happily get another one in the future. The week after I had them done, they were quite sore but I wrapped them in clingfilm and put the recommended cream on to make sure they didn't get infected. 

This tattoo is similar to a compass than runs through the world map. There were so many different versions of this design but I still ended up changing the design a little before showing the people in the tattoo shop. Originally there was a little plane which I loved but I wasn't 100% sure about it.)

This one is pretty self explanatory. It's a little Creasant moon and I'd always wanted something like this on my wrist.



I honestly have so much love for them both. I remember saying after having them done that they're like my children (don't laugh, hahaha). I'm just very protective over them and even though there is quite a big difference in size, I love them equally and I'm so proud of myself for going through with it. There isn't a super sentimental story behind why I got them other than the fact that like I said earlier, I adore travelling and I love adventure. It's a big part of who I am and I'm glad I now have something to represent my love for that. 

As always, I hope you enjoyed this. If you've got a tattoo, I'd love to see it so send me a DM on Twitter (@astudyintennant). Also, if you're thinking about getting a tattoo and you've got any questions then please just ask me! I'm definitely not an expert but I might be able to help.

Lots of love,
Meg X



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Raindrops On Roses. Design by FCD.